- Speed Rope: Let’s face it: you are going to being jumping rope at some point and the most frustrating thing is trying to learn how with someone else’s rope. I recommend the $15 Bushing Speed Rope from Rogue (short or long handles is your preference). Do not trim your rope until after you have used it through a few workouts. There is no way to know the length that works aside from actually using it in a workout. And if you don’t have singles learn those FIRST and then attack those double-unders. Once you have those double-unders down with your rope, then you can splurge and tryout some new and better ropes!!
- Hand Protection: RIPS are not COOL. Ripping your hands just cuts into training time and makes for an unpleasant hand washing experience. I love the Natural Grip, JAW grips, or the gymnastic Rogue grips. You can even make your own with tape with a YouTube tutorial. This will be a trial and error for you to find what works for best for you but go ahead and invest in some now so that you don’t end up with bloody hands.
- SHOES: Nike (Metcons), Reebok (Nanos), or Inov8 (Lite) all have great options for crossfitters. No matter your athletic background, your mobility, or your fashion sense, having shoes designed for your sport is going to better set you up for success.
- Log: I can not tell you how important it is to log your results. From Day 1, grab an old notebook, journal, or one of the many crossfit log books out there and write it down. Record the lifts, the modifications, the times, how you felt, and your goals. I like to add comments like ‘felt light’, ‘shouldn’t have to break the wall-balls’, ‘did 2 strict HSPU + 8 kipping HSPU each rd’ or PR. It helps immensely to look back at your previous results and track your progress.
- Positive Attitude: You CAN do it and we are here to help! Come ready to be coached, learn, take chances, fail, succeed, and most importantly give it your all. Everything else will take care of itself. What we do inside CrossFit Bluegrass affects your world outside the box and your world outside of the gym will change for the better if you push yourself in here.
You must be logged in to post a comment.